New Promotion! FREE Leak Alarm

Get a free leak alarm with purchase and install of a new faucet, toilet, or hot water tank.

Q&A:Two-Piece Toilet Maintenance

Q: What maintenance is there to do on my two-piece toilet, and can I do it myself?
A: The two most common repairs or maintenance items on a two-piece toilet are the fill valve and the flapper, which usually last about 8 years. Tank-to-bowl gaskets should be replaced every 10 years or so.

Welcome to our Newest Plumbers


Over the last few months, we've brought on several more plumbers to serve the fine folks of Victoria, BC and the rest of Southern Vancouver Island. We're so thrilled with our new plubming recruits that we had to write a post about it.

Q&A: Winter Rains Are Coming

Rain drops on stone fence

Q: The winter rains we get on Vancouver Island will be here soon. Last year, every time we got heavy rain for a few days, I got water in my basement. How can I prepare this year?

Q&A: Preparing for Vacation

Plane in the sky

Q: We are heading out on vacation soon. Are there any valves that we should turn off while we are away?

Q&A: Who Deals With Warranties?

Q: We had our water heater and kitchen faucet installed by a company that we would prefer never to have back in our home. Can HomeWise Plumbing deal with the warranties on those products they installed?

Ask The Plumbig Experts! Temperature & Pressure Relief Valves

Q: I've noticed a little water on the floor around my water heater sometimes - it seems to come and go. Any ideas why this might be?

Ask the Plumbing Experts! Poly-b Water Pipes Replacement

Q: I have heard that it would be smart to get my poly-b water pipes replaced. Is that true?

A: Insurance companies are beginning to refuse to renew insurance for houses with poly-b water pipes, so it is a looming problem. Generally speaking the issue is more to do with the fittings than the pipe, especially if you have grey plastic fittings, and particularly on the hot side of the system.

Ask the Plumbing Experts! Sub-Flooring & Wax Rings Under Toilet.

Q:  I am adding a new sub-floor in my bathroom. Is it okay to stack two wax rings together to make up the difference under the toilet?

A:  We see the negative results of this action all the time, and it usually leads to big problems! The answer is, "never!" The proper thing to do is to raise the floor flange, which is best done by a professional plumber. The tolerance for the height of the top of a flange ranges from flush with the floor to 1/2" proud, but then it is essential to choose the correct wax ring accordingly, of which there are 3 variations to choose from.


Subscribe to RSS - blogs