Ask The Plumbig Experts! Temperature & Pressure Relief Valves

Q: I've noticed a little water on the floor around my water heater sometimes - it seems to come and go. Any ideas why this might be?

A: Your water heater has a device called a temperature and pressure relief valve which is set to open at 150 psi. A little bit of water on the floor that comes and goes is likely due to the water pressure in the house reaching 150psi which can be due to a number of reasons. The BC Plumbing code states that the water pressure in a residence should not exceed 80 psi as anything higher puts you at risk for burst pipes/fittings/faucets etc. There are a number of things that can be done to keep the pressure in your home within an acceptable range including installation of a potable expansion tank, or thermal relief valve.